View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 10:15 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

grape juice at standard level
Default Steering wheel shudder 05 sti

I done some searching about causes for shudder in the steering wheel and the generic causes were faulty power steering pump, air bubbles in power steering, dodgey orings and at times diff related. however my symptons seem to be slightly different to those described so my question is has any one experienced something similar or has an oppinion on which they think this cause may be.

On cold start up, there isn't any noticeable whinning or noises coming from the the pump or fan belt whilst the car is not moving.

Once i pull out the drive way the first 2-5mins of driving the steering makes a little whining but nothing to bad and no negative steering feedback.

Driving calmly through the suburbs, making turns there isn't any noticeable issue. You can maybe slightly notice the wheel has a tendancy to want to straighten itself out, but maybe that just me.

The issues of shuddering and even at times a real stiff (zero power steering) come when the engine/suspension is loaded up.

I only mention them both together as the heavy/shuddering steering is only experience under hard braking and cornering or hard accelaration out of cornering. This makes it hard to distinguise whether its an issue with power steering due to engine loading (possible loose belt) or maybe something diff/suspension related.

The symptons do seem to be slightly more noticeable when the DCCD isn't set to auto, but this for 1 could be placebo or 2 changing the DCCD off auto may load the center diff in a manner which effects engine load and therefore the power steering from there.

I do plan on getting it looked at during its next service in 3000km's but if its possible to fix it myself before then to save a few $$$ i'd rather do that.

Cars recently had new tyres and all wheels aligned, and the issues were experienced before and after that, car does need new brakes and the rotors machined but thats a different kettle of fish, as the steering shudder occurs under acceleration and cornering (when no braking is occuring)

Any queries or help is welcomed

Cheers Jamie

"All in relation to nothing. Nothing in relation to infinity. A central point to both, And infinitely far from understanding either."