View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 03:01 PM
STI Master

Adz at standard level

Congrats on the new purchase! Awesome cars for what they are, have worked on several now and really impressed with the build quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcha View Post
Can or do you apply a wax over the top? one of the main reasons I got it so I don't have to wax my car. its good for 3 years compared to the Swissvax Carnauba application last 6 months max. The requirement of washing is car washing liquid either ceramic pro own or you can use meguiars SOFT WASH GEL, and dry with a microfiber towel. No need to apply wax
I'd suggest you still continue to wax your car. The ceramic will continue to break down over time (18-24 months, doubt you'll still see benefits in 36 months with Perth's water). The wax will ADD to the gloss/protective layer and prolong the ceramic coating from breaking down.

Please don't compare it to Swissvax, substantially a different product (and FYI the Swissvax Crystal Rock will easily last 12 months).

Quote:
Originally Posted by s20525xxx View Post
If u wanna DIY, try this:
Gtechniq Crystal Lacquer + Silo Seal Kit
This is how much these ceramic coating actually cost......

Clay bar, compound and polish before apply ceramic coating. Once applied properly, i don't think there are drawbacks.
Always use gentle shampoo(ie autoglym). Apply wax can extend its life.
As you've just outlined.. the product itself isn't what makes 'paint protection' expensive. There should be more time spent prepping the car correctly than actually applying the product (unfortunately generic dealerships have exploited this, giving the 'paint protection' packages a bad rep for being a 'waste of money').