Thread: Solar Power
View Single Post
Old 19-07-2013, 10:33 AM
Scoobie Noobie

iced77 at standard level

I am getting mine upgraded. Install is in a couple of weeks or so. I am upgrading my 3.7kW worth of panels to 4.9kW. The inverter is a 4kW. You are only allowed to 25% more in panels than what your inverter is rated for. So a 4kW inverter can have 5kW worth of panels (according to Western Power/Synergy regulations)

If your panels generate more power than what your inverter can handle, it just clips and maxes at the maximum output of your inverter. If your inverter is a decent inverter, it should handle this happily. I have a SMA SunnyBoy 4000TL and the SMAs handle it fine. I would double check your own inverter with whoever you are thinking of handling your upgrade just to make sure. Andrew from Sustainabode is taking care of mine.

PS. There's a difference between exceeding rated power output of an inverter and exceeding the rated input voltage of an inverter. Your inverter won't like you if you exceed the rated input voltage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thommo View Post
Just a heads up for those guys that don't know, with your solar systems apparently you can over power them to get more out of them. In a nut shell if its a 3kw system they generally only produce power at about 2.7kw so you can add another couple of panels to push the generated power up to a full 3kw and it's quite safe.

Has anyone actually done this or can shed any light on this overpowering of the system.

Cheers Luke
The Following User Says Thank You to iced77 For This Useful Post:
norwest_rumbler (19-07-2013)