View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 05:56 PM
STI Master

Adz at standard level

Hey!

I won't comment too much on dealer delivery type paint protection. From the majority that I've come across it's a fairly entry level ceramic coating.

I've used CQuartz for several years now and have always had great success (Car Pro Professional Car Coatings). Have had several regular clients that I put this product on 2-3 years ago and water still beads with the paintwork still feeling frictionless. Another (much more expensive) option is Swissvax Endurance. This is a teflon based paint protection. Gives the hardness/protection that the ceramic offers.. but the added bonus of leaving the car with a permanently wet/waxed look.

Opticoat has taken the online forums by storm. Their marketing is HUGE. I have used/have stock of this. It's fairly easy to DIY (happy to sell you a kit to DIY). It certainly adds a layer of protection (I've measured before/after with a paint gauge) but you don't get anywhere near the final finish that you would with the above two options (it's also 2/3 of the price).

The MOST important factor is to maintain the car. Where paint protection fails is when dirt/debris is left to sit and bake.

Essentially the paint protection product is there to add an additional artificial 'layer' ontop of your factory paintwork. In theory, this will/should wear down over time (generally 18-24 months) before your original paintwork is exposed to the elements.

It will not stop a rock being flinged up from the car in front of you at 100km/h from chipping the paint work. Nor will it stop bird poop from eating through the clear coat if left to bake in the sun for a week.

I advise/recommend paint protection for people that don't usually make too much of an effort with looking after their car. It's an added 'security' for those that left their car go for a month or two without a wash.

If you're keen fall in love with your car and can devote an extra few hours once a month (or two) I'd recommend investing in a GOOD high quality wax. You'll get all the protection these products will offer with a superior finish. This also forces you to maintain your car more often and therefore keeps the car looking at a much higher standard. You'll also get to intimately know every square inch of your car!

Last edited by Adz; 02-09-2013 at 05:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Adz For This Useful Post:
wrx oh oh (03-09-2013)