View Single Post
Old 18-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

RoughStilin at standard level

Last night was my first outing since the "big boom" at the RAC. So I had a new engine & as most would have seen a nice set of new wheels & R Comps. It was not without its usual quirks though & I did have a few issues on the long track at the beginning of the night.

I was actually mostly worried about tyre srub, but all was good there & I did not notice any noises, nor see any scrubbing marks on the tyres, so all good - Fuck they stick too, once hot, jesus....... Have a look at the last lap, just before I turn onto the front straight, that's fairly chugging along there. I'm looking forward to going over my performance box data.

Basically I was too much of a poofter & after the "big boom" event, I got Warick to lower the boost cut & RPM limit, whilst he was tuning the car. Once the car was out on the track, it was hitting boost cut & I had to manually turn it down with my GReddy museum piece (as seen in the video). No problem I thought, then after I got rid of the boost cut issue, the limiter stated rearing its head. So I got the laptop out, raised the boost cut limit by 30kpa & lifted the RPM limit by 500. I know the dyno sheet shows that I should really be changing gears around 6500 to 7000 RPM, but the car does not feel like this on the track, it just feels like it wants to kepp going, hence I keep tapping on the soft cut of the limiter in the video. Once I had changed the settings though, everything started to fall into place and the car was much better & more, how I am used to driving it, but still with safer limitations (RPM limit wise) than the RAC.

I turned the boost back up a little to around 24 psi & then got stuck into the short track. Learning where I can be on the noise & how much later I can now brake, was a good learning last night, as was feeling the grip of the new tyres just get better & better as the night went on.

Suspension & Aero is going to be the next thing I sort out, as its definitely now the weakest link. Another 50 laps around Barbs, some new suspension, front & rear diffusers & a flat under carriage, should hopefully see me take another second or so off. Then once I am getting consistent times, I will turn the boost up some more & put the 1.06 rear housing on if I have too. Still lots to learn with my driving though & getting the lines correct, I'll get there though.

The bonnet is now the only thing that needs to be finished off with wrapping. Plus the car also got some new stickers on it yesterday too.

Video from last night

Simon.