View Single Post
Old 05-01-2014, 07:06 PM
Scoobie Noobie

vsp44 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrally View Post
I would revisit the camshaft timing.
Disregard the white lines on the belt, especially if it's a Dayco belt.
Rotate the engine backwards by enough that you can slowly bring the crank into position in the correct direction and there's no slack in the belt. Then double check the marks.
I checked the belt a ton of times before I bolted it back together. Turned it over by hand a bunch. Figured how to get it exactly lined up when the tensioner is on. Took me the best part of 2 full days to get it all done. Rotated the crank a ton of times and the marks always lined up perfectly. Even had the better half eyeball it.

Quote:
Is there a chance you damaged a valve when you removed the old belt? Did the cams all spring off in every direction?
Sure. There is a chance that a valve is bent. The cams sprung when I took the first belt off. I did however set the crank pulley to the service position before taking the belt off. The crank never moved. I only turned the cams the direction indicated. I am hoping it is not a bent valve as that would be slightly unfair given I painstakingly went through all the steps to the letter, minus not having the tool to stop the cams turning when the belt was first removed. Took me by surprise!

Quote:
Did you rotate the crank at all while the belt was off or was the belt removed at TDC rather than the halfway down the bores position?
I made sure it was in the service position prior to removing the belt.

Quote:
The valves can easily touch each other if you rotate the cams in the wrong dirrection and they have very small stems that bend easily. If they have bent valves they often have a characteristic valve train noise at certain R/min.
I do not have any significant valve train noise. It runs reasonably smoothly. Just that slight miss and shake on idle. It is a bit quieter than before I changed the belt. My better half thinks it is smoother now.

The idle is the thing that is killing me. Just that lump, miss, slightly off. Gives the car a bit of a shake. The engine mounts are mushy as anything so that probably does not help. That said the car has done a cheery 230,000... was hoping to get it to 330,000

Edit: I should also note that it had a slight miss and shake on idle before doing the timing belt. It is now just a bunch worse. I wonder if the retarding of the left side exhaust cam by a tooth (as it was set previously) was deliberate to reduce this miss?

Last edited by vsp44; 05-01-2014 at 07:19 PM.