View Single Post
Old 20-04-2014, 11:58 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

joshwrx at standard level
Default idle issues 2002 wrx

background information:
2002 wrx 2.0litre (stock except for fuel pump, grimmspeed ebcs and k&n short ram filter kit)

Since changing my inlet pipe (from maf to turbo) i have been having an idling issue. i have cleaned the iacv and replaced the gasket and still no luck.
what it does is run smoothly, hits full boost (tuned for 19.4psi) and idles ok. however especially when its cold (more noticable) if i drop the clutch to change gears or to come to stops etc. the rpm's sometimes drop to 200/300rpm and then back up to 750 odd rpm. when the car is warm its much less noticeable and the car runs perfectly fine.

what i want to know is if my maf is ok (included a video) and a video of the rpm dropping.

does anyone have an ideas? i am an "ok" mechanic and can do most things in terms of what you can suggest

should i look at adjusting the tps (when i changed the turbo inlet, the problem started). i didnt fully remove the manifold, i just unbolted it a bit to lift it up to remove the stock one. however i could have accidentally adjusted/bumped the tps. i know i shouldnt have changed the inlet pipe but the stock one had a split in it.

is there anything else i could try? i have checked all my hoses and they seem to be ok and when idling normally the vacuum sits at 18hg which to me seems ok. i never got the inlet pipe retuned and perhaps that could be the problem too, but i dont want to fork out $350+ to redo a tune.

other than that, i cant think of any other problems it could be, i did get a well known ebay inlet pipe (payed about $180) for it. could that be the problem too?

I thank you all for any advice, ive been dealing with this now for nearly 4 months :'( as a final note, the car does hesitate to pull away too and sometimes when hitting boost it feels "bumpy" and a bit hesitant too. seems to have come on since doing the inlet, so could be the tps if i moved it, etc.

cheers guys, have a good easter

Josh
Attached Files
File Type: zip maf testing.zip (3.41 MB, 4 views)
File Type: zip rpm dropping.zip (1.58 MB, 5 views)

--MODS--
--> Walbro 255LPH fuel pump
--> Grimmspeed 3 port EBCS
--> 3" turbo back exhaust
--> Catless up pipe