View Single Post
Old 28-04-2014, 08:44 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by phizzle View Post
I need to talk all technamological with you.
It's pretty simple Phizzler ... Do a quick google on UnblockUS or Getflix.

In short ... They use DNS (domain name servers - which convert a domain name to the apprOprIate IP address) servers to hide your location. So my router has it's DNS servers set to the UnblockUS addresses rather than the ISP ones. By being set to UnblockUS my computers behind my router seem to be in the US rather than AUS. This allows me to set up my Apple TV or IPads, as one example, to stream Netfix from the US or any other nation I choose by changing the settings at the UnblockUS site.

There are issues. When I google for example it defaults to US google. So I have a bookmark to the AUS one. Some forums also refuse to let me join as they won't allow a "proxy" as they think I'm trying to do something untoward.

In the end though, it gives me what I want such as digital AFL radio as the feed doesn't know I am in Perth and I can stream almost any free Internet TV FrOm around the world. BBC TV, netfLix, Hulu, etc.