View Single Post
Old 23-05-2014, 08:24 AM
STI Master

scary knows their stuff

You do know that the pistons in the caliper don't automatically retract when you take your foot off the brake pedal?

Only the pressure is removed and the pads stay in contact or very close to at all times.

If the pads come away from the rotor this is called knock off and is actually an issue to be dealt with - but usually comes when driving hard on a track etc - not something you appear to be familiar with.

Now on to your uneven rotor wear - unless there is something dynamically wrong and things are not straight no amount of shims etc are going to cause uneven wear - think about it for half a second and you will realise that something that is in constant circular motion can't wear out on one side.

If the uneven wear is between the centre and outer edges across the entire rotor that is possible.

So in essence if you have or had rotors that are worn on 1 side more than another I would suggest they are either warped ( this is a cause of pad knock off) or have been machined incorrectly.

Most people would feel this as vibration or through the pedal.

As I remind my children daily - engage your brain before your mouth (or in your case fingers)

using the Perth-WRX mobile app

12.463 1/4 mile, not bad for an old school Liberty [DECEASED]

MY08 Liberty Tuned by STi