View Single Post
Old 08-12-2014, 07:23 PM
STI Master

s20525xxx knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnbosiris View Post
Not qualified enough to say mate, they are factory forged of course but who's to say whether aftermarket pistons would have avoided this.

At the end of the day 'shit happens' and I made an assumption that backfired on me. Lesson learnt. I booked some time off work so am pulling the engine this week and taking it to Doug, and fingers crossed I'll have it back and running before Xmas.
And yes if ppl want to know the tuner they can see my bug thread but my main point is that I don't believe the piston failed purely as a result of the tune.

Moral of the story is if you make even a small change to your exhaust ie gutting cat or going high flow cat and you are running a tune... Go get a retune.
When I replaced my failed butler down pipe due to collapsed cat, it leaned by 0.3 afr (11.5 to 11.8), got it retuned asap.

I think fatigue is the reason why most old sti has piston failure, any knock would make this procesa lot faster.

Maybe get a afr gauge while u wait for a rebuild? Good luck.

using the Perth-WRX mobile app

Update from new owner: 375whp at 1.4bar on 98, at Tokyo Motorsport