View Single Post
Old 01-02-2015, 09:43 PM
STI Master

Patch at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrx View Post
I've read that tyre shops hate the foam shit when they change the tyre but that's not really your problem at the end of the day.
It's not so bad when it actually works (which in my experience seems to be rarely), but when it doesn't set, stinks out the whole place and makes an absolute mess of the tyre, rim and our tooling then we do kick up a fuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRecardo View Post
Yeah I ditched mine, it's only 17" and my wheels are now 18" so I don't even think it would serve a purpose now.
Rim diameter isn't important, it's the rolling diameter of the tyre that matters for a spare. A 17" rim and an 18" rim can have the same wheel rolling diameter if the tyre profiles are correctly selected (which should be done anyway to preserve speedo accuracy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDmoke View Post
Many new cars do not come with a spare at all.
Some have a can of foam, some (like the new MINI) have runflats.

The foam will leave a mess inside the tyre, but in reality once a low profile tyre has been driven on at all when flat, then any tyre shop will replace it & not repair it.
Toyota 86/BRZ stopped coming with spare wheels too. I haven't heard of low profile tyres being refused repair simply from being driven on flat either, whenever I've dealt with them it's been based on whether or not they show run flat damage.
The Following User Says Thank You to Patch For This Useful Post:
joshrx (01-02-2015)