Thread: My08 STI
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2015, 05:52 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan [SSZ] View Post
Both are pretty effective in stopping heat soaking into various other components, but the turbo beanie would be better at keeping the heat in the turbo.

Combining the beanie and ceramic would be a winning combination.
I've often heard you don't want the heat soaking into the turbo, particularly once the engine is turned off and the cooling is effectively off. You want the heat to be able to come out of it as opposed to being trapped in and baking it. Perhaps just cooling it as much as possible would be enough before parking up.

It's definitely a debatable/subjective topic, which is why I personally think ceramic coated inside out would be best, with a heatshield. If I had an expensive turbo I wouldn't put a beanie on it.

Comments like

Quote:
i would not do it, by law of thermodynamic heat has to escape in some way for the turbo to be efficient, retining heat with a blanket will cause premature failure, and crackin of the hot side.
Having said all that, if you're not worried about the turbo at all, or all of those concerns are mitigated or non-issue, then the beanie would do a solid job of protecting the TMIC and brake/clutch reservoir from such epic heat (which i found to be an issue a few days ago)