Thread: Ceramic Coating
View Single Post
Old 25-05-2015, 05:10 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazdavies View Post

The fact of the matter is there is no permanent solution.
You'll end up re doing either wrap or re coating at some point. Personally I prefer wrap it's better at managing the heat and it's a shit load less expensive.
There is a better solution than wrap and ceramic coating. Look up that sheet hot stuff i mentioned.

Wrap definitely works better than ceramic coating. I have first hand experience with this. But wrap and coating arent the only two choices anymore. There are new products on the market such as the sheet hot. (And other imitation products)

As i said before, with headers with just ceramic coating, my thermo fan shroud melted. It looked like melted candle wax running down the side of a candle. The harness under the radiator almost went up. The plastic protection over the wires burnt up etc. Also, the wheel arch inner liner melted and bubbled at the point that is exposed on the drivers side. My engine mounts (beatrush) began melting, and the rubbers turned into a sticky goop kinda like bubble gum. This was after one hard track day. (EL headers on a 'spacer' deleted forester)

I never had that problem with the wrapped headers. (UEL headers)

I have since wrapped the EL headers in "Sheet hot". And I havent got any further melting issues. The sheet hot is easier to work with than wrapping. And it offers alot better protection than ceramic coating. It wont disintergrate after a couple of years like wrap does. It wont flake off like ceramic coating. Its only downside is its aesthetics. It doesnt look too pretty. But it works. And its pricey. But it will still be cheaper than ceramic coating.