Thread: Yeti sled
View Single Post
Old 30-05-2015, 10:28 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichX View Post
What's your gearbox code do you know? I have a JDM 6 speed, and I don't find it too bad, compared to the very lazzzzy MY01 5 speed.

Mine is EA-TY856WB2GA, which is allegedly:

JDM Impreza WRX STi RA Spec C MY02
(also S202) TY856WB2GA 3.636 2.375 1.761 1.346 1.062 0.842 3.900 Viscous* A.P.*Suretrac w/*external*
transmission*cooler

Seen you at RAC a few times with your old man. Really nice car.
Its a 2007 2.0L JDM STi 6spd. The code is TY856WB8KD. Its DCCD, has a helical front diff, and 3.54:1 out to the rear diff. Because its from a 2.0L engine, it has closer gearing than a 6spd from a 2.5L engine of the same year. Some peoplke like it. It makes them 'feel' fast because it goes through the gears faster. I dislike it. The problem is the overlap when you shift up. The close ratio means there is like maybe 1500rpm from one gear to the next. So, in a straight line your are literally ALWAYS changing up.

It would be good on a race circuit with a peeky 2.0L engine, where you could always find a gear that would put you in peak torque. But on the 2.5L which has a broader torque range than the 2, you find that alot of that broad torque range is wasted due to the narrow gearing and big overlap between gears.

Dont get me wrong. Its an amazing gear box, the front diff and DCCD in it let you get the power down so much better than a 5spd forester box. And the interaction of diffs and turning greatly improve the feel during cornering. Its just the ratios that are gay. I wonder if its possible to shoe horn a gearbag from a long ratio liberty or forester sti 6 spd into this boxes diffs? That would be a good match imho.

But, I got this gearbox for 1500AUD, and the quotes I was getting to get an equivalent AUDM 6spd were around the 5k mark.

If I had a spare 15k, I would get a sequential shift, dog gear box with tall gearing. Like this...

Last edited by Bram; 30-05-2015 at 02:14 PM.