Thread: Yeti sled
View Single Post
Old 30-05-2015, 06:34 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahnah View Post
Hey Bram if you feel up for it, could you detail how the previous tune caused the catastrophic failure?
What factors caused or combination of factors would be of interest
Lots of things lead up to it. Firstly. It was a remote email based tune. The setup would be very difficult to tune. It had alot of variables such as very high wastegate pressure. CAI, aftermarket fuel reg. stock injectors. Very fast spooling turbo. What i was wanting was probably very close to the edge of the engines limit. The tuner probably hadnt blown enough engines at that stage to know these engines limits. Both the tuner and myself were too cocky going into it. I think the tuner was still 'learning' subarus when he tuned mine. The tuner (throttlehappy) has had quite a few engine failures since this one on ozfoz, and probably alot more from other forums too.

To cause damage like that, the engine must have severely leaned out. Like not just a little bit. Like a whole fucking lot. plus the tuner was having a very hard time controlling boost with the 3 port. So it was overboosting and probably exceeding the stock injectors ability to supply fuel.

After the first few revisisions, the tuner no longer wanter AFR inputs from my PLX wideband. (Alarm bells should have been ringing for me at this stage) BUT i thought the car was invincible, and i whole heartedly trusted the tuner. I didnt pay enough attention to the logs, and what was going on. I probably coyld have prevented it if id paid more attention. its just one of those shit things that happens in life.