Thread: Yeti sled
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2015, 10:38 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram View Post
I dont think its for me. I can understand how machines work physically very well. And i even understand the theory of how the ECUs controll them aswell.

But when it comes to numbers, and tables and CSVs and such. Im not so good.

Basically, im good with physics, because i can see how the theorys all work together. But im crap at maths as there is nothing to link maths to an actual thing. They are just numbers on a page.
The other thing would be training/skills. Im a fully trained and licensed auto sparky. Its something ive been doing for about 10yrs now. There is absolutely no way i could have gotten to where i am now with my trade without learning and practising on other peoples cars/trucks/earthmoving/machines etc. And definitely couldnt have done it without the training and guidance of more experienced tradesmen as i was learning. I had to do 4 years of on the job training to get trade recognotion. Although i could do the majority of 'basic' stuff after a yr or 2. It still took alot of time and honing to progress further. And even now after 10yrs, im still learning new stuff. And i was lucky in that the place i learned was also a mechanical auto workshop, so i was able to pick up enough mechanical skills along the way. Most of my current colleagues know enough to get by as spakies, but are useless with anything mechanical, and most dont even understand the concepts of whats going on mechanically.

I dont know how todays 'tuners' got to where they are now. But i believe they mostly all would have had to have had the right job at the right time, with the right people showing them the ropes. Maybe coming up in performance shops from a young age, or having folks involved in motorsport etc. I think there may be few self taught prodigees, and internet schooled home tuners etc. But i reckon the bulk would have had to have a more or less proper training of sorts.