View Single Post
Old 07-06-2015, 09:45 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Dan [GTI] knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram View Post
Cars NVH is truly atrocious. It clunks like nothing else. Every bump is felt. Every mechanical operation is felt. Just using the starter motor rattles the whole cabin. It has all kinds of weird harmonics when driving. The tyres skip when turning tight. Clutch disengaged and the metal rattly sound makes people cringe. And i cant even turn the stereo up to cover it because i ripped it out to save weight.

But i wouldnt change it for the world.

What im saying is, toughen up ya pussies, dont be afraid of a little NVH. Have a cup of concrete and harden the F up. And do the same for your cars.
This is why I loved my DC2 (Type R swapped) Integra so much. You felt every mechanical input and almost had sensory overload from all the suspension / steering feedback Not to mention the severe lack of sound deadening, close ration box and the obnoxious exhaust just magnified the experience.

That is what truly bugs me about cars now-a-days, they are too sedated, smooth, composed, etc. ECU re-tunes, sports suspension, big wheels / tyres, exhausts are just the beginnings of a host of corrective measures to reduce comfort in the pursuit of driving pleasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexxar View Post
Does replacing all these bushes really make a difference?
My brothers FG Turbo Ute has every bush in the rear (diff, control arm, etc), most of the fronts and gearbox mounts replaced with polyurethane replacement items. The NVH is increase noticeable (mainly diff / gearbox noise) but the pay off is the car feels solid under power. I know it clearly isn't a WRX, just my recent experience.

Last edited by Dan [GTI]; 07-06-2015 at 09:52 AM.