View Single Post
Old 12-06-2015, 06:54 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

superpuoz at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLEY View Post
Seriously, don't be shy and/or embarrassed about disclosing what you paid for it. We are a Cunch of Bunts on here from time to time, but most of us can sense your love and enthusiasm of Subaru so you're unlikely to cop any shit. We mostly dish shit out for bad choices in terms of modifications, bad spelling/grammar and general YOLO behaviour. Knowing what you paid for it will just help with people giving you advice in regards to how much more you should spend on it if there are serious problems, etc. and weigh it up against how long you are likely to keep it for or how long it will likely last.
I've been searching the web (Gumtree) for a long time before I made this purchase. So I thought I had a good deal when I saw this as most of the 98-00 rexes (I love this shape to bits) was going for between $4000-$8750. This guy were asking for $7000.00 and I got him down to $5900.00. To be honest with you, I did test drive about 2 rexes before this one. One was a 98 ($4000) and the other a bugeye 2000 ($5000) (which I didn't like so much) but both paint work was horrible and just didn't feel right (Who am I to make the call because, I really don't know a lot (or anything) about cars)

So when this ad comes up and the body work was in a relatively good condition, engine inspection came up with no leaks showing, test drive was good and the seller was just saying there were no issues, etc. I was sold... he seems like a real genuine guy (this is where the heart over head theory comes in).

I know I read in this forum that people's car are in the 10's of thousands and my $5900 is nothing, but I suppose it just hurts to know that MY rex (that I still love; albeit the early morning start issues and throttle lag issues - along with the leak issues) is not going anywhere (it is running, I just don't want to damage it further until a pro looks at it).

(of course there's the part of the $5900.00 that my Mrs absolutely told me that I couldn't spent and only months of cajoling allowed me to get it at the expense of a holiday, and now the prospect of spending another'000s to get it right or to put it up in GT for a loss (I will do the right thing, I will advertise it as a mechanics dream to fix and as is, I won't lie and tell anyone it's in a good condition, especially a dreamer like me who knows nothing about cars don't want to start this cycle again.))

BUT.... yeahnahs, post kind of put it in perspective for me, I think from here on end, I will just do this slowly. I will start cleaning out all the old leaks (things a NOOB like me can do), start her up every morning at least, read up on the rex (I think - because of reading, my throttle lag could be because of a throttle response sensor; amazing I even know what that is (all thanks to yeahnah putting things in perspective last night), and just start cleaning things up that I can think off. This at least when I go to Stechnic, Evo R or wherever they don't laugh at me so much for buying an absolute lemon...

But I appreciate all the kind words everyone and thank you guys for being so welcoming, I do hope that I am strong enough (both $$$ and will) to keep this going.

WOW. Sorry for the story book post.... when the answer was just $5900.00