View Single Post
Old 17-06-2015, 08:14 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Top-Deck at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strubaru View Post
does it have a pod filter or oiled k&n panel filter, if so ditch it for a stock paper one & replace the air flow meter with a brand new genuine one, these are by far the weakest link on the my98/99 model and cause the problems you are describing, previous owner could have cleaned it & it ran good for a couple of days

the coilpack on this model is a pretty rigid unit & there is only one that does all 4 plugs so i doubt that it would cause a misfire, changing the plugs won't hurt but the damm afm's on the early wrx's are so so shit
Completely agree with Strubaru on this, the AFM is a well known weak point on the 99/00 GC8s, and as he said, you want to stay well away from a pod filter or oiled filter.
Even with the stock filter in place I would recommend spraying contact cleaner on the AFM every month or so, just as a precaution, literally a 5 min job for peace of mind.
Also nailed it with the plug/coil-pack problem, I would start by just changing the plugs. If it is a mis-firing issue I reckon between cleaning the AFM and plugs you will most probably sort it out, all for couple hundred at most (if new AFM is needed).
Hope this helps.