View Single Post
Old 19-06-2015, 11:02 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff

Yep - it's pretty farked mate. I work in a totally different industry to you, but we are going through Org Structure Redesign and thus redundancies one after the other, and repeat, and repeat again. Across all Business Units and Functions in an AU/NZ business.

Very ugly, makes the workplace very unpleasant with so much uncertainty. Not conducive for high levels of engagement and thus productivity.

I've been with the company almost 9 on staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matto20v View Post
Why are people worried about being made redundant? Take the cash and fkcn run!! Yeeeowww!
True, if you are on staff, been there for around 10 years+, you then will get a half decent payout. Redundancy for most people is the best thing that can ever happen. You get a phat lump sum, to which some people would only see once in their lives.

We've had people walk away and pay of their houses the next day.

If you're young and you get the golden envelope, you bank the coin, and move on to new work providing the market is good, or you have some solid contacts. That's the ideal outcome. Doesn't work that way for everyone, specially if you're getting on a bit, have no industry contacts etc.

Some people just don't want to leave either - being there so long, their job is the life, the friends they have. I've seen grown men cry because of redundancy after doing something so long for something they love.

Last edited by RichX; 19-06-2015 at 11:20 AM.