Thread: RJ's STi
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2015, 11:24 AM
Sir AntiLag

dazdavies knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnbosiris View Post
Can I ask how you measure HP at the flywheel ? Was the engine out of the car? Genuinely curious not a poke. ��
For some reason Flywheel figures are quoted in the UK. I think it's basically the software on the dyno that sorts it all out. This is how I think it works so it could be wrong. You do the dyno run then a coast down. The software then calculates what the transmission losses are during the coast down which is usually around 18-20% and presents you with a flywheel figure.

There's a couple of tuners in the UK that have full on engine dyno set ups where the engine is put on a rig, run in and tuned on the premises but I've never used one.

I've always been given a whp figure and a flywheel figure but as everyone quotes flywheel power that's how all the comparisons are made.

Personally I prefer WHP figures now that I've started using them here. It makes sense as that's the actual power being put down onto the tarmac.

So most figures quoted in the uk just take 20% off and you should be near enough to WHP. That's how I do things anyway. Seems accurate enough.