View Single Post
Old 12-07-2015, 12:29 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrx View Post
I doubt 'grip' is linear to width, what you're probably hunting is more lat/long acceleration. This would require a balanced suspension set up - ie each component and spec complements eachother, not just dial in any old 'feels good' settings independently.

Tyre weight - maybe manufacturers spec sheet or a nasty approximation density x volume. Also increased rolling resistance and inertia from more weight and contact.

As said above, what are your current limits? IMO smallest footprint with good cornering ability is ideal, so "better rubber and less of it" kinda thing.

using the Perth-WRX mobile app
Good points. I know the car is far from setup. I have just basically thrown a bunch shiny parts at it then put it on the track, with no real trial and error adjusting stuff. Im not a race engineer, and cant really say what works in harmony. Or even begin to disect what i currently have, to see what needs to be altered to improve stuff. But a simple-tons view is that if im sliding around now, then more grip would help, ergo wider tyres.

The wheel weight is lower. Those 18x10 Ze40s weigh less than my current 17x8 Drift 6s. (Just by 1-200 grams.) But they are 2inch wider, and 1inch bigger, and 10000000x more sexy. Tyres on the other hand would definitely add more weight. A basic guess that im pulling out of my arse is 25% wider would be maybe 20% heavier.

Currently have hankook Z221 in soft compound in 235/45/17. I think the only better semi slick rubber in that size would be the yoko A050. Or go to a full slick maybe.