Thread: STI nr4
View Single Post
Old 22-07-2015, 01:58 PM
STI Master

dnbosiris at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxey View Post
It was more the fact that it uses the EJ and not the FA....

I would have though that Subaru's newest engine would be in their most high performance vehicle. It's not like DI technology hasn't been proven in many other vehicles. Maybe there are some limitations to the DI engine that I am not aware of (there most likely are), but people seem to be doing some big things with them in the BRZ/86 arena, though I'm not sure if they still use the DI side of things....
I did some searching and found these nuggets of information. granted they are
all from various forum posts, so they are opinion, but the truth is probably in there somewhere...

"The FA with time, may become a good replacement for the EJ, as it currently stands the EJ is much more flexible and very mod friendly.

DBZ - Subaru don't mess around, the teams I was referring too are Subaru backed teams, the EJ is there because it is the best unit for those applications backed by more than 25 years of understanding, development and investment.

Thats why the Japanese STI still uses the EJ. It will be another 1 to 2 yrs before they put a FA into the STI and when they do it will be a much better unit than the current FA."

"One of the reasons that Subaru is still using the old EJ20 engine is that the 2014 NBR Challenge WRX STI was built on the race proven older engine, which many of the race engineers are familiar with, easier to handle with the parts readily available and that the FA20 will need a little more years ahead to fine tune. Even the GT300 STI BRZ is using the EJ20 engines so there is a possibility that Subaru doesn't want to take chances at their races with their newer FA20 engines."

"It goes to show how conservative of a company Subaru operates. The EJ207 is tried and true engine in Japan. It still continues to receive small updates as the STI progresses.
AVCS in 2001(JDM)
EJ257(USDM which is also the mid-year refresh for the US, JDM gets twin scroll manifold)
DAVCS in the GR Body 2008+
I think the next logical step would be a low mount turbo setup in the EJ207. Until we see the FA/FB in a true motorsport application that Subaru is involved in, that will be a true sign of when the STI will get the new engine."

JDM 2015 WRX STI and S4 Info *Merged* - Page 6 - NASIOC
2015 jdm wrx sti - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
Technical breakdown of FA20DIT - Impreza WRX Club Inc. Forum

Last edited by dnbosiris; 22-07-2015 at 02:02 PM.