View Single Post
Old 22-07-2015, 02:06 PM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

Sell '09 for 18/19 grand and purchase 05-07 STi for 22-25k?

Sure it has an arguably better block, Brembo's and DCCD however it will still require modifications, will cost more to insure, probably higher km's, unknown history... there's always an element of risk. People have purchased PLUMB secondhand STi's before, only to have them cost shitloads months down the track. If the person is flush with money and losing money/extra costs are not a factor then sure, sell up and buy an STi. If someone was "in the market" (hadn't purchased yet) and they stated that they wanted to do regular track days then I would say "buy an older STi" as opposed to a more recent WRX.

I own an ugly WRX but I wouldn't sell it for an older STi. I've owned it since new, has never given me a single problem apart from paint peeling on the scoop insert and a fucked sun visor, and the money I have spent on it has been spread out and enjoyed over 7 years of ownership. I just dropped a few grand on the next lot of mods too, but my justification is that I intend to keep it and continue to look after it for many more years to come. I'm only hoping to do the occasional (3-4) track days a year too.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind re: sell wrx/buy STi either, or arguing the point made. I'm just giving an example of the reasoning behind why one person wouldn't do it.

Last edited by TROLLEY; 22-07-2015 at 02:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TROLLEY For This Useful Post:
SolarFilms (22-07-2015)