View Single Post
Old 02-08-2015, 10:49 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quick question about harness and fixed back seat mounting points for those in the know. Ive had a read of the CAMS guide, but couldnt find specific info. Ill try and explain it as best as i can.

When installing a 6pt harness to a Subaru, is it acceptable to use the bolt hole for the front seat, inner rear leg to secure the lap-sash? I am using subaru specific seat subframes that utilise all 4 of the original seats bolt holes. The inner lapsash (closest to transmission tunnel) lines up perfectly with the front seat subframe inner rear mount point. The harnsess came supplied with 7/16 unf eyebolts. It appears that most of the Subaru seatbelt and somr of the seat mounts are also 7/16 unf, so I am wondering if it is possible to simply secure the lapsash AND inner rear leg of the seat subframe with the one harness eyebolt?

The CAMS guide says NOT to use mount points for a safety cage as mount points for a safety harness. But it doesnt say not to use mount points for the same seat as the harness.

This pic is showing the rear inner leg of the front passenger seat, using the eyebolt to secure it and the inner lapsash. Drivers side will be the exact same, only mirror image.

The rest of the harness mounts I should be OK with. But here is a run down so far.

The outer lapsah lines up perfectly with the bolt hole that secures the OE seatbelt reel/pretensioner. And it too uses a 7/16 unf hole. So I was going to use that for the outer lapsah mounting with the supplied eyebolt. And totoally remove the OE seatbelts. *They clash with the wrap around head protection in my new seats. So it is impossible to use them with the seats.*

The crotch straps I have put metal base plates on the underside of the car, and threaded the eyebolts into. There is a reinforcing ridge in the floor of the car directly below the seat, and I have put the crotch strap base plates on either side of the reinforcing ridge directly below the seat opening. This seams like a strong point. And lines up near perfectly with the seat position.

The shoulder straps will need a harness bar built across the rear stru towers to get the ideal angle. Still working on this one.

Thankyou.

Last edited by Bram; 02-08-2015 at 11:52 AM.