View Single Post
Old 13-08-2015, 07:36 AM
Sir AntiLag

Zombee at standard level

OK, so I couldn't stop thinking about it so I went and test drove a Golf R. Even though I said I wouldn't.

Here's my thoughts;

Looking at the car, it is is understated, but at the same time it has subtle a aggression to it. It is stealth. No one will know its potential except those who are into cars.

The interior is superb, hands down craps all over Subaru, but then again VW does own Audi, which are the interior benchmarkers.

It has all the usual, sat nov, rv camera, sensors etc etc..

Seats are good, not Recaro good, but good nonetheless.

It has different drive modes ranging from dull to race. Each mode varies things like throttle response, steering response and damper settings.

Putting it into race mode is a noticeable difference in the car, the revs instantly shoot up to keep you in the power band and everything hardens up. They even have plumbed a race exhaust sound through a speaker hidden in the car. It's artificial, but at the same time quite good, I like it. Some wont.

Now for the drive.

I honestly think there is one sole reason why this car is raved about. The DSG gearbox. It is superb. The engine is good, but I think the speed is generated from the rapid fire DSG.

The handling is OK. It was still good, but even in race mode there was noticeable body roll compared to my 2011 STI (which has stock suspension) and it just wasn't as sharp.

In my opinion, the Golf R is a brilliant all round daily drive car. It has enough go to match 95% of the cars on the road and grip to boot.

It just doesn't have any mongrel in it. It's too clinical, almost boring. For some this is all you need, get in, and go. Done. For others, it will just be mundanely good. Maybe a tune would make it more mongrel, I have heard of tune only cars getting 280+kw. This would be impressive.

All in all, I was impressed, I could live with one yes, but it would have to be tuned, mongrel tuned.