Thread: Yeti sled
View Single Post
Old 28-09-2015, 03:51 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Well ive started the turbo swap over the last few days. Pulled off both manifolds. removed the turbo, upipe and intake pipe etc. Spent a bit of time heat shielding the exhaust mani. I did a wrap with titanium wrap. Then put Sheet Hot shielding over the top. I also did the uppipe too. The gold stuff is some already used stuff. The silver is what it looks like before its been hot. I also modified the 3 bolt uppipe so that it can be removed/installed without lifting the engine off the crossmember. So frustrating to have to lift the engine just to remove the bitch. slice 5mm or so off all the flanges and it slips in nice and easy. (with the lower profile beatrush engine mounts.)

I also ported the turbine housing so it matchs the upipe perfectly. And i smoothed and tappered the outlet of the comp housing. I also smoothed and ported the wastegate. And smoothed the turbine exit into the dump pipe. All these little things to help it flow that last 1%.

The turbo is now bolted up. Ive got the intake pipe and manifolds on. Had to grind a fair amount of material from the TGV deletes to clear the 3inch pipe. Also had to grind material from the turbine housing where it bolts to the uppipe so that i could do the bolts up. And i also had to cut chunks from the comp housing casting where it interferes with the crankcase breather pipe. But once you butcher up all the parts it fits beautifully. Was alot more pain free than Kremers turbo swap.

Im keeping the upgraded actuator from the td05. that bastard was something crazy like 20 pound open. the new actualtor is the basic model and is about half that pressure. i liked the big wastegate actuator because it kept shut and spooled the turbo hard.

Now im going to mount and plumb up the Radium Surge tank. and also swap over to radium fuel rails from the first generation perrin rails. The surge tank has an integrated reg,and you plumb it to be a dead end system with no return line from the engine.