View Single Post
Old 11-10-2015, 06:16 PM
STI Master

westoz at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by mARC View Post
It always comes down to the skill of the painter engaged.

Is it possible, yes, but don't you think it's a little extreme going from a roof repaint to a whole car? If they're quoting a full respray it may be grounds for 'all-the-best', but without seeing pics of the entire car it's very hard to tell 'I am assuming the $4k is for the entire car?'.
Thanks for reply mARC...

My thinking is that, being that the car has never had a respray from factory to my knowledge, and concerned that it may be the case that the whole clear coat may be on the way out, I might as well bite the bullet and get a fresh clear coat all over, if that's what I can get away with. A whole re-paint is not within budget at this time.

The rest of the car is in reasonably good condition, but as mentioned above, and if a respray of just the clear coat works out much cheaper for the whole car (as opposed to a whole new respray, paint & all) rather than just the roof, I would give it serious consideration.

My younger son's Celica GT4 was done here in Bunbury panel-by-panel rather than the masking method and it cost $3.5k, which was a damn good price and a top finish. Still looks terrific! Unfortunately the guys that did it (Ultimate Panel & Paint) have since since gone out of business, or I would go straight to them.

Just wanting to get ideas from trusted members on here; thanks for letting me know that a re-clear coat is an option with $$ savings as a result.
1990 Mk3 Supra turbo fully rebuilt 7M-GTE (Older son)
1991 Celica GT4 (Younger son)