Thread: Yeti sled
View Single Post
Old 25-10-2015, 08:40 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
What brake fluid you using, and had it been flushed recently?

I find the A1RM are good with fresh fluid, but will be trying the new pads that GSL are promoting now.
brake fluid is brand new. I put maybe 4 liters through the system when bleeding after the handbrake install and hill holder delete. its castrol performance dot4. same type of fluid i always use.

But alot has changed since last race.

Pads. Stock Wilwoods to QFMs.

Master cylinder. Forester to STi. (This should increase pedal feel and decrease pedal throw. I have kind of opposite symptoms.

Rear Bias Valve. Forester to STi. (I dont think this will make to much difference to pedal feel / braking effectiveness.)

Hill Holder Delete. (Shouldnt negativly affect braking at all)

Twin cylinder kit and associated hardlines. (shouldnt affect braking either, unless an airlock maybe.) All lines are hardlines, so should be no 'flex' in the circuit.

Ive bled the system a massive amount. put about 4 bottles of fluid through it. and i am 99% certain it isnt an airlock. The STi MC was used. But i think its in good condition. As said, it has a furm pedal and doesnt sink under force, so i think its doing what it should.

My symptoms.
When cool / street driving
Pedal is firm. Doesnt sink to the floor. Brakes work well. Braking is very linear and i cant really fault it at all. (These QFMs actually feel better on the street than the Wilwoods.) So i dont think i have a MC issue, or any airlocks. The fluid level remains constant, and i have checked all fittings and bleeders multiple times for leaks. Im confident there is no leaks.

Once hot and driven hard. The brakes lack braking effectiveness. The pedal feels squishy and you have more travel than i would expect. The braking response is linear to pedal effort. But it just lacks braking effectivness. They had a noticable fade in performance that seamed directly corellated to heat.

I can only really compare to how it was before all those mods and pads change as pretty much everything changed from last time i raced in one go. But it feels like these pads are a down grade from the wilwood compound. Im sure some people like them, and they probably feel good coming from crap pads. But for me they feel like a step backwards. Again. it may not be pads. I just suspect it is.

As said earlier. I only got these pads as my Wilwood order never came, and I NEEDED some pads. GSL had these in stock and also recommended them after explaining the use. But I wont be persisting with them. I have already ordered a set of EBC yellows. (just because i found a listing for these calipers.) And i may even look for another set of pads. Perhaps some genuine Wilwoods in one of thier premium compounds.