View Single Post
Old 03-11-2015, 11:33 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

nauli knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick73 View Post
I drove at Barbs the other night and was experiencing what I thought might be fuel surge as I went over the top of the big hill. Both times it happened as I coming on to boost in fifth gear. The car would stutter and shudder then come good further down the hill??
At first I thought it might be boost cut but it happened in the same spot twice over two laps.

Is this a place where you might typically experience fuel surge? I had just under had a tank on board when it happened.

Even running much lower fuel levels than this at the RAC I have never had this issue before and yes it was my first time there at Barbs, so my bad if it was surge.

Car is a 2010 STi.

Cheers.
Nick, yes that is the typical spot to get fuel surge...when you go around Kolb then exit up the hill onto the main straight g forces will push the fuel in the tank to the left and your pump will suck up air which will reach the engine just as you get to the top of the hill.
The solution is to run at least 1/2 a tank at Barbagallo....you can get away with less at RAC since the cornering g forces aren't as high....or get an STI pump with an inbuilt mini surge pot (I had one but sold it a month or so ago)....or get an external surge pot with an additional pump....and I just happen to have one for sale!