Thread: Yeti sled
View Single Post
Old 22-11-2015, 03:55 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Still waiting on banjo fittings for the handbrake. And cannot really go any further with the wide conversion.

So I put some work into the Hoonigan handle. I decided to modify the mounting arrangement, so i cut off the slot i had machined in it to mount. Then filed it smooth. I then drilled it hollow from the bottom to 16mm diameter and as deep as i could go.

I then hand tapped a 3/4"UNC thread into it. I also counter bored a 3/4" diameter opening for the first 30mm of the hole into the bottom. I then went to bunnings and discovered they do not sell 3/4"UNC bolts. (i was gonna weld the bolt onto the lever, then screw the handle onto the bolt.) So instead i bought an M20 bolt from bunnings and then ran the 3/4UNC die down it to convert it. (you would be surprised how similar m20x2.5 and 3/4-10 threads are.) I then opened up my counter bore to 20mm. That way i can fully screw the bolt up into the handle and there will be no exposed threads. With the smooth shank of thr original 20mm bolt, fitting perfectly into the 20mm bore. And the 3/4"UNC threads engaging inside the handle, hidden from site.

I then slotted the custom 3/4"-20mm bolt to accept the handle i made earlier. Just needs to be welded on. But im gonna leave this bit until after the hydraulics are working so i can weld it at the perfect angle. Ive decided to not get a custom lever laser cut, as the one i built, although a bit rough looking, will function perfectly. I also drilled out the bolt si its hollow for additional weight savings. (im a bit worried having to much weight in the handle will actually cause inertia to engage the brake during hard acceleration.)

I also cut a series of weight saving holes into the lever. Its made of steel and is strong and heavy, so even once the holes are cut, it will still have ample strength.

Then i began the long and tediuos job of hand finishing the Hoonigan handle. I not usually one for super bling and perfection of finish. Im more of a function over form guy. But given that this handle is a master piece of CNC work and the centerpiece of the handbrake. I thought i would go all out on the finish. So i have hand sanded it to a near mirror finish, removing all the minor surface flaws. I progressively used 800, 1200, 1500, 2000 grit paper. an every face, and groove. About 10 hrs of hand sanding untill i was happy with the surface.

Then onto the calico buff wheel for a mirror polish. Spent nearly an hour on the buff getting it immaculately smooth. like stupidely smooth.

then i cleaned all the buff polish out of all the grooves with a rag, brake cleaner and a selection of small picks.

During the week im gonna look for a place to get it bright dipped anodized.

And lastly ive prepped and painted the frame. I didnt go to as much effort with finishing the surface as i did with the handle. Just a clean and paint using a metallic charcoal enamel rattle can. A few light coats and a week to fully cure and this should

Handle with weight savings, and custom bolt.

hear it is after the 1500 grit.

Polished and cleaned. Check out the mirror surface.

Painted frame.