View Single Post
Old 09-12-2015, 11:48 AM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level
Default 99 Liberty RX - a DIY daily

Figured it was time for an update to this DIY project.

I gave up with the whole video thing, wasn't really worth the time to edit it all.

Got the head gasket and clutch sorted, but found that the transfer case kept popping into neutral by itself. Ended up just disconnecting the dual range cable and just securing it in place permanently for normal driving.

Have been using the car as a daily since. It's had a clunk coming on and off throttle for ages, but I assumed it was to do with the shonky gearbox popping out of gear.

The other day I decided to actually get underneath the car and check out what was actually happening, and I discovered that every time the rear wheels were moved etc, that the rear diff was actually just bouncing around. The mounting bushes were flogged out and useless.

I promptly ordered a set of Whiteline ones from the MRT ebay shop, and they turned up within a day or 2. Not bad for $50.

Got stuck into the car yesterday, removing the rear diff and getting at the bushes.
Unfortunately for me, the old bushes are stuck good. I don't really have a socket big enough to hammer them out with, and the hammer doesn't seem to be big enough anyway!
So this morning I have dropped the rear subframe out completely, and am going to take it to someone to have the old bushes pressed out properly.