Old 29-12-2015, 06:53 PM
Subaru Tech Division

astralex knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to astralex

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06STI View Post
^sr20 conversion??
13B Turbo Bridgeport. Dazda...

Edit: So now that I'm home, let me share a tale with you all.

About 4 years ago I started doing bigger/deeper dives that required more tanks to be taken in the water at any one time (think three or four tank), and the WRX and trusty Barina were just far too small to shoehorn all of this equipment into them so I decided to buy something more suited. Trawling Carsales one evening I stumbled across a relatively straight, WHITE, 1200 Ute in rural NSW that after talking to the farmer that owned it, had a leaky windscreen and a slipping clutch. Perfect, I thought. So off to the middle of nowhere I drove and trailered this beauty back to my parents house in SA to park up for a few months before I was returning to there from Perth for good.

Four months later I return to find out that my dad had gotten bored and decided to strip it back, have the bodywork cleaned up, painted in bright lambo orange, and the A12 motor now residing in a forklift at a family friends workshop. No problem, I say. I have a built L18 with twin Webers lying around that was once a spare motor for my rally car. Fast forward another few months and I'm helping a friend out and spot this odd shaped motor looking thing in his shed, which turned out to be a Cosmo 13B-RE that he'd bought to put in something but had run out of money and enthusiasm, so now it was a dust collector. Cue Alex's brain "You know what would be more entertaining that a lumpy Datsun motor? A 13 fucking B in a 1200!" Let it be known that every now and then forethought doesn't play a big role in my purchases, so I bought it off of him, and spent a few months looking at this so called 'motor', which included a lot of "Wait, so the piston is round?" and "Hang on, hang on, I get it, there's a wizard hamster in there?"

Anyway, I knew there would be a lot of fabrication involved including a new tunnel, cross members, engine mounts and so on, so I took it to Maddat Performance here in SA and asked them to make me a car, which they did.

So at this point it has a 13B mated to a Mazda 5 speed, coilover front, fully adjustable everything, R31 disc brakes in front and rear, and a shortened R31 differential housing with a Kaaz LSD. Now it's just a matter of choosing a turbo, ECU, radiator, IC, and that kind of stuff. Should be finished around 2020.

tldr; I don't know why I own this car, now that I have the Amarok it won't be used for its original purpose, so I don't have any real need for it, but it does look pretty, and I'd like to finish it before looking at it a few times, before selling it most likely.

Last edited by astralex; 29-12-2015 at 09:13 PM.