Thread: Dan's XT
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2016, 01:25 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Dan [GTI] knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichX View Post
Looks good, i started playing with cutouts for 5 mins and couldn't find a decent mounting point. Yours is a lot simpler than what mine is. I don't have a turbo heatshield, so was trying to incorporate that into the design as well to stop heat rising straight up to the reservoirs.
Yeah my design (in theory) stops radiant turbo heat and heat rising from the downpipe.

Quote:
Is the shield rubbing or touching the wastegate arm at all? When the hood is closed, I assume air from the scoop will be directed to the turbo side (not necessarily a bad thing).
My waste gate arm is non existent because external wastegate... which I have plumbed back into the exhaust. If it was there it would be tight, but would move freely.

It uses a Process West splitter so only the drivers side of the scoop has a collector for the turbo and helps push air over the turbo / down pipe, and the collector makes up 1/6th of the splitter. This new shield will hopefully not impede the flow.

Quote:
I might copy your design and see how that looks on my setup. I actually bought a Perrin heatshield some time ago, to go over my turbo beanie and downpipe blanket, but when my 3" went on, they cut the freaking brackets so I can't even mount a new one on.
The combo of the shield and beanie is almost perfect... which means your situation is unfortunately, but you can always make the most if it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarFilms View Post
I like that idea of putting some shielding around the clutch and brake resivour how is it mounted?
You can see in this picture I mounted it on the arm that holds the clutch reservoir. I had to drill the hole but that was the only butchery of the car I needed to do.