Thread: Hydrolocked :(
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2016, 08:20 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mARC View Post
Bram,

Sounds like you had a bad experience with work done, I'd have payed more attention to the slotting of holes as this can mean there is existing damage, panels weren't fitted correctly, or at the extreme end they quoted genuine parts but fitted aftermarket; slotted holes in extreme cases can lead to alignment and tracking issues.
Im not too fussed about it. Im talking about the front quarters where they meet up with the headlight / radiator support panels etc. Im confident the car is straight. I think it was just a bit easier for them to slot, than align. The quarters werent even replaced, neither was the bonnet. The only structural bits done were the bits that link the bumper crash bar to the car. All other parts were actually supplied by me. As i was stockpiling a full SG STi conversion. I supplied the bumper, crash bar, headlights, grille etc, in exchange for zero excess and my entire conversion being painted. I believe the car body drives straight etc as all the important stuff is from the engine crossmember back. Everything forward of there is kinda cosmetic.

Quote:

I quoted this as it would be fair to state that your 'frontal cortex capacity', would be lower, as you can't seem to comprehend that a bad experience doesn't equate to an entire industry?

There are people with 'interesting work practices', in all areas.

The skill of the repairer plays a big part in the end result and unfortunately repair work is becoming a thing of the past as the industry moves towards replacement.
Cut alittle close to home did i? My comments arent just based on that one experience with that one panel shop. Im actually an auto sparky and have done alot of work for a couple of different panel shops. I did basically all the AC and complex electrical repairs through my old job over about 6 yrs. (Sub contracted) i got to deal with not just the assessors, but also the floor staff. And this is why i made that comment. Its also why i highly suggest checking anything a panel shop does to your car. I saw a while manner of different bodges over the years. And interacted with a whole bunch of frontal cortex challenged individuals. From the plebs washing the car, the painters who unfortuantly may have inhaled a bit too much, and the toothless apes who bolted stuff together. This was only thru a few shops, and not an entire industry, but ive seen enough to stand by my comments.

Quote:

The fact that the majority of insurance assessors now just undertake a course rather then having prior real world experience, coupled with the fact that they can receive bonuses for reducing a quote also causes large frustrations with those whom have to deal with them.

Inefficient quoting practices 'which comes back to skill', also competing for work, plays a big part in the end result as some are reluctant to go back to insurance companies with adjustments, or fear losing the insurance company as a client.

It is strongly recommended that you review any work you get done regardless of type, and push for all rectifications to be made free of charge even if that includes having the rework done elsewhere.
This is true.
Quote:

P.S:

You will also find in a lot of cases that the mechanical component is sublet thus having nothing to do with the panel beater other than the initial placement.
[/QUOTE]
This is also true. But in my cars case, im certain it was all handled in house bar a wheel alignment check after.
[QUOTE]