View Single Post
Old 11-02-2016, 12:37 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Dan [GTI] knows their stuff

You beat me small novel good read mate!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtrapid View Post
I hope this small novel helps
The US Mazdaspeed (MPS) and GTI guys have been pushing the development of water-Meth injection and it has some amazing results. Their intention is to get more fuel purely because aftermarket injection is not really available.

The MPS guys are more applicable as they like to keep their TMIC too and WMI has shown to get intake temps 15 - 20% cooler and will keep the charge air consistent pull after pull. Most companies claim up to 20% power gains, but the main benefit is the mid-range and responsibility of performance.

I was researching this for my MPS and GTI and to get a good boost activated (with low level safety switch) for under $1000. Also the fact the fact that you won't be using it all the time you don't use a huge amount and when you mix the meth with distilled water 50/50 it isn't that expensive. You can run 30/70 (water/meth) for an even more cost effective set up.

For those who ask why put water in a motor: the water has to be vapourised (don't cheap on the nozzle) and as it is injected into the hot charge air it evaporates and draws heat out of the air and lowering intake temps, lowering the chance of knock and making he air more dense. This also has a cool side effect where it can steam clean the intake manifold and valves and will keep it clean.

The methonal does a few things: acts as an anti corrosive , acts and an additional lubricant in the cylinder and actually can increase the octane of the fuel it is mixed with.

I have been tossing the idea around with my current set up to beat the TMIC heat, but I have a few things go before I am doing that.

Last edited by Dan [GTI]; 11-02-2016 at 12:41 PM.