View Single Post
Old 23-02-2016, 10:13 AM
Sign me up!
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

trainwrex at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazdavies View Post
I've built a few. None of had issues that I know of.
The one quoted was my own engine.

I guess it's down to how the pins are done. You'll see in the pics that my block was slightly recessed for them. The cylinders were also honed after the pins were fitted.

It's all a bit of a lottery as far as the 257 is concerned. That is why I'd advocate building a 2.1 stroker instead. Cheaper, more reliable and far less in the equation to go wrong.
That's coming from someone with a built and sleeved 257 too.
The problem is the differential heating of the bores especially the areas where the pins are.

CD and sleeving the block and torque hone plating has been shown to be the best way to may a 257 reliable.

I did a huge amount of research into this when i did my build speaking with world renown tuners etc and that was the reason i did what i did to my engine.

Also power comes with the heads so you need to get the heads matched to the outlets.

I was looking at EG33 build back in the day but it was too expensive to do but now guys are turning to H6 or even better EG33 motors to pump out decent power without stressing the engine. Thats what id be doing if i was looking at building up a subaru..

Last edited by trainwrex; 23-02-2016 at 10:16 AM.