View Single Post
Old 10-07-2016, 11:58 AM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
I was wondering who voted Pauline. And why?????
Are we really that afraid of immigrants? My parents were both born outside Australia and migrated with their families when they were young. Does that make me any less Australian?
Not that I would ever vote for that numpty but the immigrants of old (Italians, Europeans, Asians) are not the same as the immigrants of today. They very rarely brought their troubles with them (well except for maybe Serbs and Bosnians at the Australian Open tennis, lol) and they were hard working contributors to society... deli's, market gardens, builders, etc. These people laid the foundations of multiculturalism in Australia.

Today you have people coming to Australia that wish to change the lives of everyone else to fit in with their beliefs and their Religion. Many refuse to assimilate. Many rely on just the husband working while the Mother stays at home with large numbers of kids collecting family benefits (like the UK, immigrants know we have a very generous welfare system. This is partly what makes Australia a much sought after destination).

People call others racists and xenophobes if they become worried about their jobs. Really? It's not that hard to understand the more population, the more competition there is for jobs. "Be better at your job" they say. "If an immigrant gets a job before you, you're doing it wrong", etc. Again, really? And it's always white collar professionals who say this, with complete ignorance of low income earners, blue collar workers and those in the customer service/hospitality industry. If you're a business owner, your main goal is to make a profit. One of the easiest ways to do so is employing someone whom you don't have to pay as much...

I think people get sick of Australia trying to be world saviours and would rather prioritize other matters like homelessness, Aboriginal affairs, education and (re)training of mature age workers (and more investment in traineeships/apprenticeships to skill our local kids rather than using 457's and crying "labour/skills shortage"). If you're made redundant after the age of 50 these days it is very, very difficult to find work again.

Last edited by TROLLEY; 10-07-2016 at 12:01 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TROLLEY For This Useful Post:
type25 (11-07-2016)