Thread: Exhaust Sound
View Single Post
Old 25-08-2016, 02:46 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Ben628 at standard level
Default Exhaust Sound

Hi again guys,

Just wondering if anyone could help me with their opinion,

So I have a GC8 WRX and what I've done is put the X-Force Turbo Back Exhaust along with other small mods like GD STI intercooler conversion, Boost Tee Controller.

It was all working great and I had the silencer on initially and then my mechanic opened half (The butterfly pattern silencer, not sure if this makes sense) and after it was opened half, the sound was slightly louder and it spools just a tad bit quicker. So my mechanic said if I get rid of it all together I would then again notice more improvement in spool time so we did.

In the process of removing it completely, my mechanic said once this is out it can't go back in because he tried with a plier and it doesn't move, so he cut the silencer and bend it so that it would come out.

Now that it's out I really like how the car just keeps wanting to go, like it spools quicker again. Although this might just be my imagination and I've read some people say that silencer doesn't actually do any restriction and it might have been my mind playing tricks but I could've sworn it does feel different.

But anyway, I think the sound is a bit too loud now, one neighbour was complaining and I felt pretty bad. I do want to enjoy my car but I don't wanna be a prick in the neighbourhood if you know what I mean.

What I wanted to know form everyone's opinion is:

1. What can I do to reduce the drone or sound without restricting it with the silencer?

2. If nothing can be done, since the old silencer has been destroyed, is this something that can be purchased again separately?

3. I've read a lot of people saying that once we install the equal length header then the Subaru drone / rumble is gone and it will be a lot quieter and in fact have better flow than unequal length header, is this true?

4. If option 3 above is a good path to go, I've seen around and Empire Performance seems to be the most cost effective one, have any of you guys have experience with this product?

I desperately need some advice guys, since the silencer was removed, I was actually afraid in starting the car at night past 8:30 or 9pm if I have to go out as I don't wanna be a nuisance to the neighbours.

At the end of the day although the Subaru rumble is nice and I like it but taken into account for the consideration of others I would prefer not to have it but at the same time I don't want it to restrict the spool and flow.

Any idea guys?

Thanks again so much and look forward to hear from you guys