Thread: Yeti sled
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2016, 07:19 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

The turbo oil drain mini sump is built. I do still have to weld some brackets that will locate it to the turbo so the wieght isnt hanging off the drain fitting. Its about as low as i dare go. It has 3 weld on sockets. The top port is a -4, and it will be used to drain oil from the catch cans, And also provide ventilation to the sump. The lowest port is a -6, and that will be connected to the suction port of the oil scavenge pump. And coming off at 45° is a -10 that will screw directly to the turbo drain fitting using a single 45° female - female union.

First, placement was mocked up. And then i carefully drilled a single hole where a port was later to be installed. Then i set up a slow back purge. Then 2 halves were joined together all the way around using a fusion weld. I am very impressed with it, it looks like a robot done it. Penertration was spot on with zero internal sugaring. Then the port holes were marked out and drilled, and then filed/de-burred to ensure absolutely no dags that could brake off and end up in my oil system. The bottom port for the scavenge pump needed a small length of tube to help get the perfect contour to the bottom of the dome, so it can drain from almost the lowest point.

Then i thoroughly washed the inside with boiling hot water and detergent, then let to dry and then acetone washed. I wanted to be 100% sure all dust was out before welding it up. Then i setup the purge again and welded in fully the ports.

I also made the external gate exhaust tube. Screamer pipe for the LOLs. Basically a tube expander from 1.75" up to 2". Then a short 90° bend. The bend will be cut off diagonally on the lowest point so it sits flat with the lowest part of the car.

I really like welding SS316, it just looks better than SS304.

I will put up some pics of it fitted to the car later. Its too late now.