Thread: Yeti sled
View Single Post
Old 18-09-2016, 02:41 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

I have fully ducted the FMIC. The idea is to force the high pressure air generated infront of the front bar to flow through the FMIC core and not bypass it as the car moves forward through the air.

On the front of the FMIC i have cut out 2 flat plates that match the contour of the rear of the bumper bar. These are tack welded to the FMIC, and have a layer or foam on the front edge so they snug up against the bumper. This will stop the air bypassing the FMIC.

Although only half the core is visible via the front opening, it will still get airflow over its entire surface area. I have left the top edge of the opening in the bumper bar clear of the core. This way air can enter the front bar opening, then it opens up behind the front bumper bar to expose the full core. Then i have sealed any edges along the top with foam. That way any air that enters the front lower opening is directed through the full face of the FMIC.

Behind the FMIC and back to the radiator i have also ducted it. The reason is if the air infront of the FMIC is exposed to the bow pressure wave, but that same pressure wave is entering thorugh the front grill, and allowed to flow down to the area behind the FMIC. Then you get a situation where the pressure before and aft the FMIC is similar, and therefor a reduced air flow though the FMIC core. But if i seperate the air exiting the FMIC, from the air entering thrpugh the top grille, and only allow those 2 streams of air to meet after the radiator, then in theory, more air should be directed through the FMIC. Because that air cannot bypass the core via the front grille.