View Single Post
Old 23-10-2016, 12:35 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Kaoself at standard level

Trolley, that is some awesome torque! I'm quite jealous that I won't be able to get that on my 207. Is that the 20g xtr or xt? I'm sure you will be very happy with the new engine, especially if you decided to go for e85 too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram View Post
Ive owned both a blouch td0518xt and a dom2.5xtr. And i can say hands down the dom is the better series of turbo.

On my car, the 2.5xtr spooled 100 rpm earlier than the 18g and made more power, at a slightly lower boost level. The 18g was stronger through the midrange, even though it spooled a tad slower. But up top the dom just felt so much better.

Im a bit surprised at PSR saying the 1.5xtr spools slower than an 18g, as my own experience (on a 2.5L, not a 2L) that the bigger 2.5xtr spooled abit faster than the 18g. My 18g spooled at 3.7k on a 2.5L, so 3.5k on a 2.0L is impressive. (Or just standard PSR bull shit) And my Dom2.5xtr spooled by 3.6k rpm. But that could also be partly helped by the 3" compressor inlet.
In hindsight I should have clarified that the 18g and 20g I was referring to were the XTR versions, so I can believe that with a 68mm compressor wheel and the same 56.5mm turbine wheel and bb CHRA they will spool a bit quicker than the Dom 1.5 with a 71mm compressor wheel.

In saying so, I've heard too that the Dom will spool faster then an 18g xt. It's just so confusing, especially if as you say some of the info is bullshit. The full boost at 3500 for the 18g xtr and 3700 for the 20g xtr were almost too good and about 500rpm off most of the real world dyno graphs (of which there are so few reliable ones i.e. not NASIOC).

As far as I can tell the differences between the 18g xt and xtr are that the xt has a 55.5mm turbine wheel, the journal CHRA as opposed to bb, and maybe? different blade designs on the wheels. Could these differences really lead to a 500-700rpm better spool? It seems a bit of a stretch to me. Whilst I might like to, I'm loath to believe all this faster spool and better torque and power magic that some are want to spout.

It's just like 6 or so years ago 200awkw was considered about the max for a vf34, now people are talking 220awkw. I'm more likely to believe that dyno stats have been inflated then that with everything the same suddenly every tuner is that much better.

Last edited by Kaoself; 23-10-2016 at 12:43 AM.