Thread: Yeti sled
View Single Post
Old 30-12-2016, 06:26 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Yeah. But you have a better (longer) fall out of the turbo. The problem i am wanting to avoid is kinda hard to explain. Its due to there only being such a short distance out of turbo before its into the collector. Turbo oil seals are like a metal piston ring. They only seal against oil that runs/splashs past them on its way out of the core. As soon as oil backs up inside the core, oil basically overflows out the seals. The seals are very finnicky and dont actually seal very well. (Remember that shaft has to spin 150000 rpms, and gets spastic hot.)

I am surprised you got it to work with the drain entering into the sump at the bottom though. All the research i have found state that as a bad idea, ideally you want the drain tube to drain into an air space, not into an area submerged by oil.

The reason i wanted as large as possible diameter right out of turbo is bescause if liquid sloshs around in the collector (during braking / cornering) then as soon as the level covers over the smaller hole, that is when liquid will start backing up in the fitting and eventually the core. Just the resistence of the liquid its self could be enough to cause it to back up. With the new alloy one im hoping to avoid that situation by going alot larger out of the turbo into the collector. And i did also want better clearance to the road.

Both collectors worked well in the garage testing ive done. The scavenger pump is capable of flowing more oil than the turbo can drain. The only actual issues ive had initially were actually due to not running the pump enough after shutdown/before start up. And the accusunp leaking back when the pump was off. The pump is controlled via the ECU, and i have configured the ECU to keep alive for 30 seconds after shutdown allowing the scavenger pump and cooling fans to run on. And i have sorted the accusump solenoid out. I replaced with a direct acting unit. And i put it in the correct direction to hold pressure after shutdown. Now holds 6.5 bar perfectly.

The reason for the 0.035 restrictor is Garrett specify ballbearing turbos to have 45psi max oil supply. 0.035 is very common size used to achieve that oil pressure (more so in the USA where everything is measured in inch). 1mm works fine and is also very common to use on the Garrett BB turbos to achieve the pressure reduction. 1mm works fine on a setup with an ideal drain. But i figure its best to opt slightly lower on a setup with a less than ideal drain. I wont be using the 0.030 restrictor either (it actually arrived and measures 0.040"/1mm, so the shop sent the wrong part out anyways.)

And interestingly my engine now has significantly more oil pressure (when hot) than it ever did previously. It still peaks at 6-6.5 bar at the engine, so i know the releif is working. But the oil pressure leading up to releif seams higher relative to rpms. I dont know if because the oil grade 5w50 motul. Or because the massive oil filter presents less restriction?

Last edited by Bram; 30-12-2016 at 06:29 AM.