Thread: Yeti sled
View Single Post
Old 30-12-2016, 07:34 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLeggy View Post
I have run large garrett and precision turbo's with a -8 drain etc, the volume of your drain isn't the issue. You think about how much oil can enter the core via a 1mm hole.

You say your running the drain of your catch cans to the turbo's sump/collector ?? I would suggest this is a bad move, biggest issue people have in these low mount situations is stopping the pressure etc on the vent of the sump/collector/turbo.... making it breath/vent through a line anything other than clear to atmo is a problem, and having oil from your can's also filling the turbo's sump is a very bad idea.

My scavenge pump stop's with the engine, the sump on turbo would be lucky to be 180ml, never had an issue.
Ah ok. I thought having the catch cans drain into the collector would be ok? My car doesnt really collect a massive amount of oil in the catch cans. Like realistically its probably a few drops per km. So its not like its gonna be flooding it. Id say for the most part the drain tube would be clear air, and everyonce in a while a drop would pull through. There is 2 catch cans. Each independant of each other. And each draining seperately into the turbo oil collector. Each one uses a -4 nylon braided hose directly into the collector. As said, each one has a 1.5mm hole at the weld fitting on the collector. I did this as i was worried that they would let TOO much air into the collector.

Are you saying more so because some goop from the cans could potentially clog the venting up? I did fully clean the cans and plumbing out before doing this setup. And if the cans are constantly draining, then hopefully none of that nasty goops could even exist.

The catch cans are effectively vent to atmo anyways. Well sorry one is vent to atmo. The other still connects to the intake manifold via the PCV valve.

Last edited by Bram; 30-12-2016 at 07:37 PM.