View Single Post
Old 08-01-2017, 10:25 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Dan [GTI] knows their stuff

So it's been over a month since I changed something on the car, the latest thing being the windscreen which decided to crack half way across the width when it was smashed by a rock. While the trim was off I have it all a new coat of black.

The dash trim that goes across the car (above the stereo and glove box) and the trim on the other side of the cluster (ACD and mirror control surround) is starting to show its age with some wear in the usual areas like around the vents, mirror controls where 15 years of touching and fiddling have left their marks. Same goes for the trim around the shifter and ash tray.

I weighed up hyrdo-dipping, painting or wrapping and I decided that a decent 3M wrap would be a good interim solution so jumped on some 3M Air Egress wrap and now have to work up the courage to pull the trim out. I have practiced with a small section of old dash trim from my Forester and was able to lay the wrap fairly well and keep the weave straight and not distort the appearance.

The engine bay came up great with the paint / decrease / clean but the fittings were still pretty shabby and most were beyond restoring. So purchased a dress up kit that replaces majority of the visible bolts, nuts and washers. This particular one uses stainless fittings with machined heads and anodized washers.

This should tide me over until Feb / March when it will be due for a service and I will hopefully stop procrastinating long enough to put an E9 turbo on the car.

Last edited by Dan [GTI]; 08-01-2017 at 10:40 AM.