Thread: Betty blue
View Single Post
Old 14-06-2017, 01:03 PM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

Another shitty update from me.

My 6spd has developed some annoying symptoms.

The car is a 2010 STi with 72k on the clock (gearbox code TY856UG1KA). I have owned it for 6 years, and yes it has been well used.

It has supposedly had two major services in that time but I am suspicious the oil has never been done on the gearbox due to the lame arse excuses I got from the person servicing it at the time.

When the 6spd is cold it is notchy and requires a bit more effort than normal to get into gear. Once it warms up it is better but still noticeable. If you try to rush the gears it occasionally won't go in at all. I am told this is worn synchros or worn main shaft that affects all the gears in the box.

At the track if you are down shifting from 3rd to 2nd during hard braking it feels like it has gone into 2nd gear. But when you get back on the gas it jumps out of gear into neutral.

The last couple of launches at the drags were tragic. It sounded like a machine gun, literally. You know bangbangbangbangbangbangbangbang.

There is a slight shudder from the clutch/flywheel when taking off normally in first gear. It is only very minor, but could be contributing to some of these issues.

Clutch is a new stage 3 sintered/ceramic from Competition Clutches & the flywheel is a machined oem STi jobbie.

I have spoken to a couple of mechanics who have suggested changing the oil from the standard oem stuff to something of higher quality, like the Motul 300LS 75w/90. Which I have now ordered. It has even been suggested to throw a tube of nulon g70 in there too, which is meant to be good with notchy boxes.

I have been told the banging on launch might the dccd on its way out & to replace the dccd plate and ring set with a kit like this from Kaps transmissions.

CARBON COATED DCCD KIT - KAPS Professional Racing Gearboxes

Basically the box felt notchy before the new clutch & engine went in but since then it has deteriorated furthered and now the machine gun effect is in full swing when you try and launch it.

I was hoping for some more tips on trouble shooting and hear peoples experiences if they have been through similar with their 6spd.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give those who can be bothered reading it some info to think about.

Cheers.