View Single Post
Old 15-07-2017, 07:33 PM
Sir AntiLag

dazdavies knows their stuff

Update time.

A couple of weeks back my clutch started to slip. I didn't expect that as I only changed the plates just before I left Perth. As I was doing it at home I had to do it the engine out way rather than taking the gearbox off.

So once I got the engine out and the clutch apart I was a bit underwhelmed as I was expecting to see worn plates. Nope, to the eye there didn't seem much wrong with it. That wasn't until I got a straight edge out. The pressure plates had worn and the flywheel had seen better days.

As luck would have it a friend of mine had an identical brand new clutch sat on a shelf that was surplus to requirements. Offered me it for a good price so the deal was done.

When it arrived it was plain to see it had been sat on a shelf gathering dust but it was brand new so I was happy.

While the engine was out I decided to make a couple of minor changes. One being the intercooler pipework. I've never ever liked the way ASG did the hot side. For some unknown reason they decided to run the pipe along the engine and down to the cooler past the headers. It was too close to the headers (about an inch away) and as a result the pipe would always be hot and giving the IC that much extra to do.

I also needed to change the cold side. When I had took the pipe to be welded in Perth I
I didn't account for the oil filler cap and so I had to block it off and run without it. Fortunately the engine doesn't use much oil so a top up via a funnel through the dipstick was doable. It was a ball ache however when doing a full oil change. So I addressed that and had the pipe work adjusted slightly.

I also wanted to make a bracket that would be welded to the Cosworth Inlet manifold to bolt the header tank to. I made it out of cardboard first and got the shape correct. Then I made it out of 4mm aluminium and shaped it with my trusty dremel. Got my mate to weld that and my IC pipework.

Once that was all done I repainted the inlet. Changed the turbo compressor colour back to silver and put it all back together.

I just have to get the hot side pipework made up and it'll be off for another tune to shoot for a bit more power.

Here's how it's all looking at the moment.