View Single Post
Old 26-07-2017, 07:01 PM
Sir AntiLag

dazdavies knows their stuff

Rather than Hijack Jacob's thread. I'll answer Bram's comments below.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram View Post
Daz, your twisting it to suit your argument.

Fact, the engine has been in and out of the car for big repair more times than i have fingers on one hand. (Probably both hands.) This is not reliable mate.

It doesnt really matter if its because of a shit build, a random mechanical failure, a shit tune, a random mechanical failure from a previous shit build, a random mechanical failure from a previous shit tune, an act of god or whatever else caused the need for big repairs. The car still ends up laid up while repairs are done and money goes flying out the wallet. That is not reliable mate.

Just forget for a second that you built it yourself. (Im not having a go at you personnally. Just discussing the history of the car) And just assume you are just a regular joe. You take the car to a speed shop for a high power build, hand over the cash, And you get what happened to the previous owner. (A big $ build, then numerous subsequent "gasket repairs") Then you take it to a second shop. And get another build, and the head lets go on the dyno, then another big repair follows and a valve lets go shortly after that. Then another big repair again. (At which point everyone else is wondering why you still persist with your super reliable car). But you do persist and finally on the 6th or 7th time round you get lucky. The engine builder did a good job, nothing let go, the tune was solid. No random shit went wrong. All the fuct parts were swapped out in the previous repairs. The stars align and everything was good.

Would a reasonable person call that reliable?

Hell, even the clutch wearing out could be seen as unreliability. We all know they are consumable, but would it be ok to call 30,000km reliable? Just because its used on a high power car. Every other reliable car on the road gets atleast 3 times that many kms. (Probs closer to 6 times that)

And lets just talk about other high power builds for sec, how often is it you see these type of things happen when people go looking for big numbers? All the time. Things go wrong. Shit happens. Its the nature of it. No one wants a lean out and subsequent meted pistons. No intentionally hooks up remote oil filter/cooler lines backwards and starves a brand new engine of oil. No one intentionally has a rod poke out the side of the block, or a belt tensioner pull out or any number of shit things that can happen. But they do and i have seen all those things. And by the very nature of those things happening, reliability dissapears. Reliability and having a (or many) shitty engine failures are mutaully exclusive.
I'm not sure what your motivation for this post Bram but it's completely inaccurate.
I need to put you straight on a few points.

You're saying the car isn't reliable. I don't agree with that at all. I do agree that it wasn't but since I've sorted all the inherited issues out it is. You're failing to grasp the key difference between then and now. Let me be clear on that so it sinks in. The car is reliable now since the last build (where I'd got rid of all the problems due to all the shitty work that ASG had done) 30,000kms ago.
How many times has the engine been out since I built the very first one? 3 times. 1 for the cracked head, 1 for the dropped valve and 1 a couple of weeks ago to change the clutch. That's it.

Where the fuck have you got this second shop bullshit from?
It hasn't been anywhere but ASGfor the engine work prior to my ownership. Since I've bought it only I have worked on the car.
This is exactly what I mean about your statements being completely inaccurate.

Now lets talk about the clutch.

The clutch was on the car when I bought it and had done around 20,000 kms at that point. Before the dropped valve it had done another 8-10,000kms. At that point I changed the two friction plates but kept the rest of the hardware (pressure plates and flywheel). It's then done 30,000 more kms before it started slipping. That's 60,000 kms from a clutch on a 600hp car. That's pretty good going.

When I took the clutch out the friction plates were still fine but the rest of the hardware was spent.

Grooves on a pressure plate, new ones were completely flat.

The conclusive shot. That's a straightedge across the main pressure plate. That surface should be completely straight as you can see it's not. It's fucked.

I need to say nothing further.

Last edited by dazdavies; 26-07-2017 at 07:08 PM.