View Single Post
Old 15-10-2017, 09:18 PM
Sir AntiLag

dazdavies knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill View Post
my 2.5 motor is set at 8,500rpm and I bounce on the rev limiter regular as it revs so quick, I use the longer liberty rods with wisco piston to suit...

Thanks Bill,

I actually think having a lower rev limit is what has done me the harm. After having a conversation with Leigh from Deshele we think that's its valve float and vtv contact when the limiter has kicked in. It was set to 7800rpm. Next time round I'll be upping it to 8500rpm.

Lots of people telling me to go Ferrea valves this time as they would not have snapped like these Supertech's have.

Also let's not forget the engine has done almost 18000 miles. The last time it saw the strip was about 6000 miles ago which is where I think the vtv contact was probably at it's worst. So I think fatigue since the vtv contact has played its part. Although there was absolutely no sign of bent valves as the car always ran perfectly and still produced very good power.

The only give away which in hindsight I should have investigated more was that the car had started to need to turned over a few times before firing. I put this down to just the colder weather starting here. It was probably a compression issue.

Anyway, I'll post the pics of the strip down in the next post.

Having stripped the short motor down this morning it was certainly due a refresh. You can see that it sees full boost and the limiter several times a day