Thread: Betty blue
View Single Post
Old 27-11-2017, 09:10 PM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

G'day fuckers. Well I've had some good news and some bad in the last few months. I was so busy with the move in to the new house and reno's that no fucks were given to my gearbox or anything else for that matter.

I washed the car for the first time in four months and that was only because I was embarrassed to take it to a workshop looking a gutter pig.

Anyway the gearbox performance deteriorated to the point where it basically wouldn't go into gear on a cold start. I would have to wiggle the car back and forth a coupled of times to get it to flop into a cog. It would improve after a few minutes of driving but was notchy as fuck.

I had a chat with Mick at Japline and he said 'I bet your clutch is rooted'. I left it with him overnight, he rang me the next morning and said 'your clutch is rooted.'

Out came the ceramic Stage three Competition clutch and in went an Exedy racing heavy duty orgasmic something something ble ble. In went a set of new spigot and thrust bearings, new fluid Castrol universal something\90w.

Mick pulled the extension case off the back of the box at my request and inspected it and said all was well.

The car drives mint, it feels like a normal 6spd again, I suspect my thrust bearing had a bit to do with it as I'm sure it was not replaced last year when the new clutch went in with the new motor.

So now I have a slight shudder in the through the steering wheel when you turn it left to right like on the exit of a roundabout. Local tyre shop reckon it will be a wheel bearing rather tyres/balancing as it seems fine in a straight line. I jacked the car up this morning and can't feel anything unusual in the front struts and hubs etc.

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome, just no bad news please....

Cheers

Last edited by nick73; 27-11-2017 at 09:13 PM.